Rena update (update 169)
17 January 2012, 8:15am
There is no significant change to the state of the Rena wreck.
- Swells are easing and winds are picking up.
- Diving is difficult because of sea state, but salvors are hoping to continue the dive survey today.
- A Shoreline Clean-up Assessment Teams (SCAT) survey is planned at Maketu Spit and Matakana Island today.
- MNZ is continuing to respond to reports of oil.
- Salvors have been on board the bow section of Rena.
- They are assessing the state of containers, including preparing to remove the contents of a container of milk powder, which will be transported off by helicopter.
- Four oiled penguins will be taken to Massey tomorrow, and 3–6 will be brought back (the number depends on the penguins’ level of “waterproofing”).
- A shoreline monitoring team will be on Motiti Island for five days.