Marine Engineer Class 6 (MEC 6)
Your MEC 6 certificate is valid for five years.
With the MEC 6 certificate, you can perform an engineer’s functions and duties on:
- fishing, passenger and non-passenger ships of up to 3000 kilowatts main propulsion power with systems or warranty conditions (or both), within enclosed water limits
- passenger ships of up to 750 kilowatts main propulsion power with less than four systems, within inshore limits
- non-passenger ships of less than 24 metres and of any propulsion power that have engine and system maintenance carried out ashore or under warranty, within coastal limits
- fishing ships of less than 24 metres and of any propulsion power that have less than four systems, within offshore and coastal limits.
From MEC 6, with additional sea service, training and assessment, you can progress to MEC 5, MEC 4 and higher-level certificates.
Before you spend time doing sea service and training, we recommend you check that you can meet the medical fitness and eyesight standards (including for colour vision), and that you understand the fit and proper person requirements.
A summary of the requirements for this certificate is provided below. You need to meet all of these requirements to get your MEC 6 certificate.
- prove that you meet the minimum sea service requirements
- complete and pass the approved qualification for MEC 6
- have current certificates for the required ancillary proficiencies
- pass Maritime NZ’s final exam
- prove that you are a fit and proper person
- be medically fit and have good eyesight
- be at least 18 years old.
You must also have English conversation, reading and writing skills appropriate to the responsibilities and functions for the level of your certificate, so that you can satisfactorily complete training, pass examinations and discharge your duties.
Each of these requirements and how to prove that you meet them is explained in the full guideline below.Marine Engineer Class 6 (MEC 6)[PDF: 246Kb, 20 pages]
The application fee for this certificate is $368, which includes goods and services tax (GST)
This is the application process for this certificate of competency.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Call Personnel Certification now
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).