Skipper Restricted Limits (SRL)
Your SRL certificate is valid for five years.
SRL is an entry-level command certificate with engineering components. With SRL, you can perform a skipper’s (master’s) functions and duties on:
- passenger and non-passenger ships less than 12 metres length overall, carrying up to 19 passengers within restricted limits (which includes both enclosed and inshore limits)
- fishing vessels less than 12 metres length overall, in enclosed, inshore and inshore fishing limits.
From SRL, you can obtain endorsements that enable you to command larger ships, carry more passengers and/or operate in specific areas.
Before you spend time doing sea service and training, we recommend you check that you can meet the medical fitness and eyesight standards (including for colour vision), and that you understand the fit and proper person requirements.
To get this certificate, you need to prove that you meet all of the requirements. In summary, you need to:
- be at least 18 years old
- be medically fit and have good eyesight (visual acuity and colour vision)
- be of good character and a fit and proper person
- complete 200 hours of sea service and an approved training record book (TRB)
- complete an approved training course
- have the required ancillary certificates
- pass MNZ’s final exam.
Each of these requirements and how to prove that you meet them is explained in the full guideline below.Skipper Restricted Limits (SRL)[PDF: 235Kb, 20 pages]
The application fee for this certificate is NZ$995, which includes goods and services tax (GST).
How to apply
These steps provide a basic overview of how to apply for SRL.
To complete an application, you need to provide all of the information and documents we require.
If you do not provide all of the required information we cannot process your application and we will return it and your other documents to you.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Call Personnel Certification now
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).
For more help about moving your old certificate into SeaCert, download and read this guideline
Transitioning to new certificates
[PDF: 241Kb, 15 pages]