Skipper Restricted Limits (SRL)
Your SRL certificate is valid for five years.
SRL is an entry-level command certificate with engineering components. With SRL, you can perform a skipper’s (master’s) functions and duties on:
- passenger and non-passenger ships less than 12 metres length overall, carrying up to 19 passengers within restricted limits (which includes both enclosed and inshore limits)
- fishing vessels less than 12 metres length overall, in enclosed, inshore and inshore fishing limits.
From SRL, you can obtain endorsements that enable you to command larger ships, carry more passengers and/or operate in specific areas.
Before you spend time doing sea service and training, we recommend you check that you can meet the medical fitness and eyesight standards (including for colour vision), and that you understand the fit and proper person requirements.
A summary of the requirements for this certificate is provided below. You need to meet all of these requirements to get your SRL certificate.
- prove that you meet the minimum sea service requirements
- complete and pass the approved qualification for SRL
- have current certificates for the required ancillary proficiencies
- pass Maritime NZ’s final exam
- prove that you are a fit and proper person
- be medically fit and have good eyesight
- be at least 18 years old.
Each of these requirements and how to prove that you meet them is explained in the full guideline below.Skipper Restricted Limits (SRL)[PDF: 235Kb, 20 pages]
The application fee for this certificate is $368, which includes goods and services tax (GST)
This is the application process for this certificate of competency.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Call Personnel Certification now
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).