Your Chief Mate certificate is valid for five years.
With this certificate, you can perform the functions and duties of Chief Mate on a vessel of any size in any operating area.
You can also perform the functions and duties of Watchkeeper Deck on a vessel of any gross tonnage (GT) in any operating area.
From Chief Mate, you can progress to Master.
Before you spend time doing sea service and training, we recommend you check that you can meet the medical fitness and eyesight standards (including for colour vision), and that you understand the fit and proper person requirements.
A summary of the requirements for this certificate is provided below. You need to prove that you meet all of the requirements to get your Chief Mate certificate.
- hold a current certificate of competency as Watchkeeper Deck or equivalent
- prove you have met the minimum sea service requirements
- complete and pass the approved qualification for Chief Mate
- have the required STCW ancillary certificates and the global maritime distress and safety system (GMDSS) certificate of competency
- pass Maritime NZ’s final exam
- prove that you are a fit and proper person
- be medically fit and have good eyesight.
You must also have English conversation, reading and writing skills appropriate to the responsibilities and functions for the level of your certificate, so that you can satisfactorily complete training, pass examinations and discharge your duties.
Each of these requirements and how to prove that you meet them is explained in the full guideline below.Chief Mate[PDF: 255Kb, 23 pages]
The application fee for this certificate is $368, which includes goods and services tax (GST)
This is the application process for this certificate of competency.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Call Personnel Certification now
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).