Master on ships less than 500 gross tonnage in the near-coastal area
Your Master <500GT NC certificate is valid for five years.
With this certificate, you can perform the functions and duties of:
- master on ships less than 500GT in near-coastal waters
- watchkeeper deck and chief mate on ships less than 500GT in near-coastal waters
From Master <500GT NC, you can progress to Watchkeeper Deck or Mate Fishing Vessel – Unlimited.
Before you spend time doing sea service and training, we recommend you check that you can meet the medical fitness and eyesight standards (including for colour vision), and that you understand the fit and proper person requirements.
A summary of the requirements for this certificate is provided below. You need to meet all of these requirements to get your Master <500 GT NC certificate.
- hold a current certificate of competency as Watchkeeper Deck on ships less than 500 GT in the near-coastal area (Watchkeeper Deck <500 GT NC) or equivalent
- prove you have met the minimum sea service requirements
- complete and pass the approved qualification for Master <500 GT NC
- have the required ancillary certificates
- pass Maritime NZ’s final exam
- prove that you are a fit and proper person
- be medically fit and have good eyesight.
You must also have English conversation, reading and writing skills appropriate to the responsibilities and functions for the level of your certificate, so that you can satisfactorily complete training, pass examinations and discharge your duties.
Each of these requirements and how to prove that you meet them is explained in the full guideline below.Master on ships less than 500GT NC[PDF: 257Kb, 24 pages]
The application fee for this certificate is $368, which includes goods and services tax (GST)
This is the application process for this certificate of competency.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Call Personnel Certification now
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).