- You can ring-fence most old and legacy tickets – with no charge from Maritime NZ – keeping them valid for life without the cost of moving into the new seafarer certification framework, SeaCert.
- You can ring-fence all eligible old or legacy certificates you hold.
- Even if a ticket has previously expired, you can revive the ticket by ring-fencing it.
- After you’ve made your choices, Maritime NZ will send you a confirmation email.
- You’ll be able to continue using ring-fenced tickets to work, for life, but you need to have a medical certificate from any GP.
- You’ll have two years from the date of issue of your Verification of Status card to get your first medical if you’re actively working.
- If you want to start using your ring-fenced ticket more than two years after ring-fencing, you’ll need to get a medical certificate before you start work.
- Medical certificates must be renewed every two years if you’re continuing to work. If you’re not working, you don’t need a medical certificate.
Transitioning after ring-fencing
If you have ring-fenced a ticket, you can also choose to transition to a new SeaCert ticket at any time in the future.
Ring-fencing after transitioning
If you have transitioned an eligible ticket before 30 September 2016, you can also choose to ring-fence the original legacy ticket. Please contact the team via phone or email for ring-fencing information.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about ringfencing, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 669 734
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 494 1559
Call us now
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).