A safety case applies to novel craft that operate on the New Zealand coast and/or internal waters of New Zealand.
Novel crafts include, but are not limited to the following:
- powered canoe or kayak
- powered surf board
- personal water craft (includes jet skis)
- amphibious craft
- reconfigurable barges
The requirements of a safety case are outlined in Maritime Rules Part 40G.
Get approval for a safety case
To apply for a safety case, you must complete and send the following to Maritime New Zealand:
- a safety case plan providing an overview of your operation and its safety, such as:
- the nature of your operation
- its vessels
- its crew
- its safety systems (safety procedures)
- its ongoing maintenance
- the safety case application form and
- the fit and proper person form
Complete this form:
- To apply for a new certificate of approval for a safety case under Maritime Rules Part 40G
- to renew an existing certificate of approval
- if you have added or removed a boat(s) from your operation or made changes to the boats in your operation, or
- to advise Maritime NZ if you are no longer operating.
Other guidelines and formsSafety case application guidelines [PDF: 1.58Mb, 14 pages] Fit and proper person form [PDF: 361kB, 10 pages]
If you require any further information about safety management systems, please contact your local Maritime Officer.
+64 4 473 0111
Contact a Maritime Officer for help with your operational and health and safety requirements.Contact now