A safety case applies to novel craft that operate on the New Zealand coast and/or internal waters of New Zealand.
Novel crafts include, but are not limited to the following:
- powered canoe or kayak
- powered surf board
- personal water craft (includes jet skis)
- amphibious craft
- reconfigurable barges
The requirements of a safety case are outlined in Maritime Rules Part 40G.
Get approval for a safety case
To apply for a safety case, you must complete and send the following to Maritime New Zealand:
- a safety case plan providing an overview of your operation and its safety, such as:
- the nature of your operation
- its vessels
- its crew
- its safety systems (safety procedures)
- its ongoing maintenance
- the safety case application form and
- the fit and proper person form
Guidelines and forms
Contact a Maritime Officer for help with your operational and health and safety requirements.