Marine Engineer Class 3 (MEC 3)
Your MEC 3 certificate is valid for five years.
With this certificate, you can perform the following functions and duties for the vessel propulsion type you specialise in, on ships powered by main propulsion machinery, in any operational area:
- officer in charge of an engineering watch at an operational level in a manned engine room
- designated duty engineer in a periodically unmanned engine room.
From MEC 3, you can progress to MEC 2 (second engineer) (includes MEC 2 ECE and MEC 2 <3000 kW) and MEC 1 (chief engineer).Marine Engineer Class 3 (MEC 3) [PDF: 223kB, 30 pages]
The application fee for this certificate is $368, which includes goods and services tax (GST).
This is the application process for this certificate of competency.
1. Do you meet all the requirements?
- You need to check that you meet all of the requirements for this certificate.
- Apply for pre-assessment of your sea service time if you are unsure about meeting the sea service requirements.
2. Do you have the documents we need?
You need to prove that you meet the requirements. Include all of the documents we have asked for with your application form. Use the checklist in the guideline to help you.
Remember we need copies, not the originals.
3. Send us your application by courier or email
There are two options for you to send your application:
- Send your application by email, attaching the scanned documents. The application form has information about the requirements for electronic copies.
- Use a courier to send us your completed application forms, supporting documents.
The addresses are on the application form.
4. Confirmation and/or request sent
We will send you an email or letter to confirm that we have received your application and advise you of any documents we need from you before we can assess your application.
We must receive your payment before we can finalise your application.
5. Assessment and payment of application fee
Once you have sent us all the documents we need, we will assess your application and make a decision. This will usually take 20 working days (about a month) from the time we let you know that we have received your application.
We will send you an invoice with your reference number and information on how to pay the application fee once we begin the assessment. Please note we cannot release your certificate unless payment has been received.
6. Issue certificate
We will send you:
- your certificate, if your application has been successful, or
- a letter or email explaining why your application was unsuccessful.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).