Transition from NZOM STCW-95 with unit standards to Master <500GT
Holders of NZOM STCW-95 who have completed additional command modules (Unit Standards 6912 and 6913) before 1 April 2014 will be able to apply for a Master <500GT certificate if they can show they have:
- sea service of no less than 24 months in charge of a navigational watch on a vessel of at least 24m or 80GT, 12 months of which must have been served within 10 years of application date and 12 months of which must have been served beyond restricted limits as chief mate or master while holding a certificate as Master <500GT Near-Coastal, or equivalent
- the current ancillary proficiency certificates and meet the medical and eyesight standards and fit and proper person requirements for the Master <500GT certificate
- passed a specific oral examination to test identified gaps in competency standards between the NZOM STCW-95 and Master <500GT certificate.
The privileges of the certificate will be restricted to being master of a vessel less than 500GT in any operating area. The holder must complete additional training and sea service to exercise the watchkeeping and near-coastal command privileges of the full Master 500GT unlimited certificate.
You do not need to apply to transition to the new certificate immediately. You may continue to use your existing certificate on vessels less than 500GT:
- in the near-coastal area until your certificate expires
- as master on vessels less than 500GT in the unlimited area up to 31 December 2016 or until the expiry date on your certificate (whichever date comes first).
To continue working beyond these dates without interruption you must:
- renew your certificate to Master<500GT NC limited to the near coastal area or
- transition to Master <500GT, which will allow you to continue working as master in the unlimited area.
Note that this only applies to seafarers who held this certificate before 1 April 2014. Detailed information is provided in the guideline for transitioning from NZOM STCW-95 with unit standards:Transition from NZOM STCW-95 with unit standards to Master <500GT [PDF: 218kB, 23 pages]