If you hold a Skipper Restricted Limits (SRL) or a ring-fenced certificate, a specified activity endorsement may be granted.
With this endorsement, you can operate beyond restricted limits up to 100 nautical miles (NM) from the coast, for the purpose of conducting a specified activity.
To get this endorsement, you need to prove that you meet all of the requirements. In summary, you need to:
- gain extra knowledge competencies
- hold a current Skipper Restricted Limits (SRL) certificate or a valid ring-fenced certificate
- hold a current Maritime General Radiotelephone Operator (MGROC) certificate
- have the required ancillary certificates
- pass MNZ’s final oral exam.
Each of these requirements and how to prove that you meet them is explained in the full guideline below.
Specified activity endorsement[PDF: 161Kb, 10 pages]
The application fee for this certificate is $368, which includes goods and services tax (GST)
This is the application process for this certificate of competency.
- 1Do you meet all the requirements?You need to check that you meet all of the requirements for this certificate.
Apply for pre-assessment of your sea service time if you are unsure about meeting the sea service requirements.
- 2Do you have the documents we need?You need to prove that you meet the requirements. Include all of the documents we have asked for with your application form. Use the checklist in the guideline to help you.
Remember we need copies, not the originals.
- 3Send us your application by courier or emailThere are two options for you to send your application:
1. Send your application by email, attaching the scanned documents. The application form has information about the requirements for electronic copies.
2. Use a courier to send us your completed application forms, supporting documents.
The addresses are on the application form.
- 4Confirmation and/or request sentWe will send you an email or letter to confirm that we have received your application and advise you of any documents we need from you before we can assess your application.
We must receive your payment before we can finalise your application.
- 5Assessment and payment of application feeOnce you have sent us all the documents we need, we will assess your application and make a decision. This will usually take 20 working days (about a month) from the time we let you know that we have received your application.
We will send you an invoice with your reference number and information on how to pay the application fee once we begin the assessment. Please note we cannot release your certificate unless payment has been received.
- 6Issue certificate We will send you:
- your certificate, if your application has been successful, or
- a letter or email explaining why your application was unsuccessful.
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).