Your Master Yacht certificate is valid for five years.
With this certificate, you can perform the functions and duties of master on a superyacht of less than 3000 gross tonnage (GT) in any operating area. A superyacht is a commercial yacht or sail training vessel that is 24 metres or more in length, less than 3000GT and does not carry cargo or more than 12 passengers.
This is the highest-level command certificate for superyachts. To command any other type of vessel you must obtain the appropriate certificate.
Before you spend time doing sea service and training, we recommend you check that you can meet the medical fitness and eyesight standards (including for colour vision), and that you understand the fit and proper person requirements.
A summary of the requirements for this certificate is provided below. You need to meet all of these requirements to get your Master Yacht certificate.
- hold a current Chief Mate Yacht certificate of competency or equivalent
- prove you have the minimum sea service requirements for the option you choose
- complete and pass the approved qualification for Master Yacht
- have the required ancillary certificates and the STCW Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) certificate of competency
- pass Maritime NZ’s final exam
- prove that you are a fit and proper person
- be medically fit and have good eyesight.
You must also have English conversation, reading and writing skills appropriate to the responsibilities and functions for the level of your certificate, so that you can satisfactorily complete training, pass examinations and discharge your duties.
Each of these requirements and how to prove that you meet them is explained in the full guideline below.Master Yacht[PDF: 260Kb, 25 pages]
The application fee for this certificate is $368, which includes goods and services tax (GST)
This is the application process for this certificate of competency.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about seafarer certification, please contact our Personnel Certification team.
New Zealand (toll free):
0508 SEACERT or 0508 732 237
Calling from outside New Zealand:
+64 4 473 0111
Call Personnel Certification now
Tell us what you need help with and remember to include your contact details (email address and phone numbers).