Delays in processing your applications
Whilst we continue to work towards a service standard of 20 working days, applications can take approximately 3 months to process.
We apologise for any inconvenience, and we are working hard to improve this.
Please help us by applying early, and follow the details below to contact us if you have any questions.
Submitting your application
We recommend that you only send your applications and documents to us electronically by email:
- The two forms of ID you send in must be certified by the person completing page 9 (Trusted Referee Confirmation of Identity) of the Fit and Proper Person Form. If you are directly affected by COVID-19 and cannot provide these certified items, please contact us on email@example.com or 0508 732 237.
- All other documents do not need to be certified or countersigned.
- Please do not send original documents, only electronic copies.
- If you are renewing a certificate, we do not need you to send the original expiring certificate.
When providing us with electronic copies of documents, please make sure the scanned copies are legible and of a good quality.
If you are unable to provide your application documents to us electronically, we recommend you contact us so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
Find out how to contact us
The best way of contacting us is by email
We are monitoring our email and will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.
Please use the following email addresses:
firstname.lastname@example.org for all seafarer enquiries
email@example.com for vessel related safety and certification
firstname.lastname@example.org for Part A and Part B registrations
email@example.com for all exemptions
firstname.lastname@example.org for all other general enquiries
Alternatively you can use our online enquiry form.
Contact us online
If you don’t have email
We are still answering the phones but there may be a delay in our response times.
New Zealand (toll free): 0508 22 55 22
Calling from outside New Zealand: +64 4 473 0111
Seafarers with expired or expiring certificates
We have made changes that will allow seafarers to continue to work with expired certificates of competency, medicals and ancillaries, for a specific period of time.
Find out if this applies to you
If you hold one of the following certificates and it expired between 11 March 2020 and 30 June 2020:
- Seafarer certificate of competency
- Seafarer medical certificate
- First aid ancillary certificate for national certificates