Maritime Rules Part 34
Current version of Part 34
This rule is made up of:
- Section 1, which applies to:
- all seafarers under the age of 18 years on New Zealand ships other than restricted limit ships.
- Section 2, which applies to:
- seafarers employed on ships that are required to comply with SOLAS 74 and to all holders of STCW certificates.
- Section 3, which applies to:
- seafarers on foreign ships in New Zealand ports.
Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) changes to Part 34 as at March 2017
Part 34 will extend requirements in relation to medical fitness for duty to a wider class of seafarer.
The amendments to Rule 34.20 will have the effect of applying Rule 34.28 to a broader class of seafarer as required by the MLC.
The MLC provides that seafarers must not work on a ship unless they have been certified as medically fit to perform their duties.
STCW medical certificates meet the MLC standard and are an acceptable alternative.
Part 34 sets standards of medical fitness for seafarers, including eyesight and colour vision, and prescribes requirements for the conduct of examinations for the issue of certificates of medical fitness.
Part 34 is divided into three sections:
- Section 1 requires all seafarers under the age of 18 years on New Zealand ships, other than restricted limit ships, to undergo a medical examination prior to their employment at sea. This requirement implements New Zealand’s obligations under the International Labour Organisation Medical Examination of Young Persons (Sea) Convention 1921.
- Section 2 requires all seafarers that are employed on ships that are required to comply with SOLAS 74 to pass a medical examination by an approved medical practitioner for issue of a certificate of medical fitness. This section implements the requirements of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers 1978, as amended (STCW).
- Section 3 requires seafarers in foreign ships in New Zealand ports engaged on international voyages to hold a certificate of medical fitness.
Maritime NZ is currently amending the Advisory Circulars for Maritime Rules Part 34.
Material incorporated by reference
Standards and codes referenced in this rule can be found here