The Covid Protection Framework
New Zealand is now operating under the Covid Protection Framework (CPF), which replaced the Alert Level System from 11.59pm on Thursday 2 January.
There are 3 settings under the CPF:
- Red means there will be restrictions on hospitality, gatherings, and events with some types of businesses and facilities operating depending on their use of vaccine certificates. Localised lockdowns could still be imposed.
- Orange means there are no restrictions on hospitality, gatherings, and events as long as vaccine certificates are used. Some businesses and facilities may not be able to open if vaccine certificates are not used.
- Green means no restrictions on hospitality, gatherings, and events and businesses and facilities can open if vaccine certificates are used. There may be restrictions where vaccine certificates are not used.
To see which setting your region is under and to learn more about what it means for you, please visit the Unite against COVID-19 website.
For all CPF settings, record keeping and scanning is required. Face coverings must also be worn on flights at all times regardless of point of departure or arrival. Face coverings rules for each setting are as follows:
- Red — to be worn on all flights, public transport, taxis, retail, public venues and recommended whenever leaving the house.
- Orange — to be worn on all flights, public transport, taxis, retail, public venues and encouraged elsewhere.
- Green — to be worn on all flights and encouraged indoors.
All recreational water-based activities are permitted under RED, ORANGE or GREEN as long as it is done in a safe way and any official public health guidance can be followed.
You can ‘overnight’ on your boat within your region. If you are leaving your region and going into a region on a different CPF setting, visit to understand and follow the rules in that region.
Under the CPF system, you can travel to different areas for any reason and there are no restrictions, but you will need to follow the CPF rules of your destination.
For the period 15 December 2021 to 17 January 2022, people who are travelling out of Auckland (unless they have transited through the Auckland area), must be fully vaccinated or carry evidence of a negative COVID-19 test within the last 72 hours.
For more information on Auckland travel and travel between different CPF regions, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website.
All charter businesses can operate under any of the 3 CPF settings. Under Red, with vaccination certificates in operation, up to 100 people based on 1m distancing are allowed. Please ensure all other safety regulations are followed for the vessel and passenger limits are not exceeded.
If vaccination certificates are not used, please visit the Unite against COVID-19 website for further restrictions under GREEN, RED and ORANGE.
All other businesses
All businesses can operate with vaccine certificates in operation and in some cases, public health requirements in place. Under RED, close contact businesses are not able to operate without vaccination certificates in operation.