Maritime NZ consulting on Maritime Levy and fees
The deadline for making submissions on the Funding Review consultation document is 5.00pm Friday, 18 January 2019.
How to provide feedback
Make a submission online
Other ways you can make a submission
You may also make comments by:
- email to email@example.com
- ordinary post to:
PO Box 25620,
- delivery to:
Maritime New Zealand,
Level 11, 1 Grey Street,
- fax to +64 4 494 8901
Your feedback will be incorporated into Maritime NZ’s final recommendations to the Minister for Transport, Honorable Phil Twyford.
There are 16 proposals being consulted on. In general, the key proposals are as follows:
- a revised allocation method for the Maritime Levy
- changing seafarer certification fees that currently range from $372 to $1105 to a single fee of $368, with the balance from the Maritime Levy
- moving routine domestic audit fees into the Maritime Levy
- a single hourly rate of $245 for activities charged based on actual time taken, rather than the six rates ranging from $231 to $313 we have now.
The review is a necessary part of ensuring that the appropriate funding is in place for the next six years, so we can meet the standards expected of a modern regulator.
This means better international engagement; more focus on targeting areas of greatest risk to safety, security and the marine environment; and changes to Maritime NZ’s compliance systems so it’s easier for operators to do the right thing.
Message from the Funding Review team: We have made an error on pages 29 and 30 of the Consultation Document, which has been corrected as follows:
- On page 29 it says “AMSA’s current funding is 5% fees, 20% levies and 56% government funding”. It should say “AMSA’s current funding is 8% fees, 58% levies, 32% Government and 2% other”
- On page 30 a revised table has been included to reflect AMSA’s funding split as above.
Public meetings will be held, where there will be discussion on the details of the review and the proposed changes to the Maritime Levy and fees.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
The dates and places are set out below.
|City||Date and time||Venue|
|Auckland||Monday, 26 November
3 pm - 5 pm
|Coastguard Rescue Centre
3 Solent Street
|Wellington||Tuesday, 27 November,
4 pm - 6 pm
Level 11, 1 Grey Street,
|Nelson||Wednesday, 12 December 2018
2pm - 4pm
|Port Nelson Ltd
8 Vickerman Street,
|Invercargill||Friday, 14 December 2018
11am - 1 pm
|Ascot Park Hotel
Cnr Tay Street and Racecourse Road
Read the Funding Review consultation document to make a submission
[PDF: 2.13MB, 77 pages]
Single page infographic about the Funding Review
[PDF: 135kB, 1 page]
Updated slide show summary of the Funding Review proposals
[PDF: 732kB, 25 pages]