40 Series Reform Project
Rule parts 40F and 40G covering the design, construction and equipment of hovercraft and novel ships respectively will not be reviewed.
The overall aim of the project is to revise the rules to ensure they are clear, easy to understand and are proportionate and appropriate to the risk and to design a new framework for the rules that is easy to maintain and update.
The revised rules and new framework are intended to address the current issues and concerns with interpreting or applying the rules.
The project has been split into five phases.
- Phase 1: Information Gathering and Consolidation (2018 – July 2019)
- Phase 2: Regulatory Framework Design and Technical Resolution (August 2019 – March 2020)
- Phase 3: Structure and Content Development (April 2020 – December 2021)
- Phase 4: Draft Approval and Consultation (January 2022 – September 2022)
- Phase 5: Rule Approval and Implementation (October 2022 – April 2023)
We will provide more information as the project progresses.
Request for feedback
We are seeking your input on how to improve the rules. Let us know about the challenges you face in interpreting and/or applying specific rules. If you have suggestions on how to improve these specific rules, we want to hear those too. If a rule just doesn’t make sense we want you to tell us why.
Email your thoughts to 40.Series@maritimenz.govt.nz by close of business Friday 27 March 2020.
Contact us for more information on the project
If you have a question about the project, please let us know.