Maritime Rules Part 51
Current version of Part 51
This rule applies to:
- New Zealand commercial ships of 200 tonnes gross tonnage or more operating in offshore limits and the unlimited area except:
- ships that do not proceed beyond enclosed water limits
- ships of less than 500 tonnes gross tonnage which do not proceed beyond restricted coastal limits
- fishing ships
- ships primarily propelled by sail
- high-speed craft
- ships undertaking a voyage of less than 15 minutes duration.
Part 51 prescribes the crew accommodation standards for certain New Zealand commercial ships operating in offshore limits and the unlimited area.
The standards, which give effect to International Labour Organisation crew accommodation conventions and recommendations, cover all those areas of a ship that crew occupy or use outside the ship’s workspaces, including:
- the sleeping and recreation rooms
- sanitary accommodation (baths, showers, WCs)
- drying rooms
- store rooms.
Part 51 also sets minimum standards for heating, ventilation and, for new ships of 1600 tonnes or more, sound insulation of bulkheads and decks.
Crew accommodation requirements for ships not covered by Part 51 are found in Parts 40A, 40C, 40D and 40E.
Material incorporated by reference
Standards and codes referenced in some rules can be found here