Kahurangi Point

Get technical and historical information and resources about Kahurangi Point lighthouse.
Kahurangi Point 1
Maritime NZ
A shot of Kahurangi Point lighthouse and surrounding homestead.
View larger image [JPG: 3072x2304, 96ppi, 3.02MB]


Lighthouse overview

Kahurangi Point Lighthouse stands on the northern end of the Karamea Bight on the north-western tip of the South Island of New Zealand.

Lighthouse feature: Details
Location: latitude 40°47’ south, longitude 172°13’ east
Elevation: 47 metres above sea level
Construction: cast iron tower
Tower height: 18 metres
Light configuration: flashing LED beacon
Light flash character: white light flashing twice every 15 seconds
Power source: batteries charged by solar panels
Range: 9 nautical miles (16 kilometres)
Date light first lit: 1903
Automated: 1926
Demanned: 1960


Getting to Kahurangi Point Lighthouse

Kahurangi Point Lighthouse is accessible to the public.

There is no public access to enter the lighthouse.

All that remains of the light station is the lighthouse; the other buildings have all been removed.

The lighthouse is situated within the Kahurangi National Park and can be reached on foot, taking several hours. Contact the Department of Conservation for more information about this challenging walk.

Walking route to Kahurangi Point Lighthouse

Find this on the map:

The history of Kahurangi Point Lighthouse

Construction of the Kahurangi Point Lighthouse was difficult. Access to the site was limited and surrounding areas were practically unexplored, so no one knew quite what to expect.

The tower was made by Judd Engineering Works of Thames. It was shipped to the station in sections and landed at the mouth of Big River. From there it was carted over 3 kilometres along the beach and then winched by tramway 50 metres up a cliff to the site.

Landing the tower sections was a difficult task. Two small boats were damaged in the landing, and one worker broke his leg. Needing treatment, this man had to be carried across 32 kilometres of rough country to Westhaven, and from there to Collingwood where a steamer took him to Nelson. In total more than 145 kilometres were covered before he could be treated.

Operation of the Kahurangi Point light

The incandescent kerosene light was first lit in November 1903. In September 1926 the kerosene light was converted to an automatic acetylene gas light owing to the difficulties in servicing the light station. Despite the introduction of the automatic light the keepers remained at the station until the Murchison earthquake in June 1929.

The Murchison earthquake caused serious damage at the light station. The light was shattered, but the tower remained standing. The tower was propped up by the landslide but the bottom floor was buried. One of the keepers’ homes was completely covered by earth.

The lighthouse remained out of action for 2 months following the earthquake, until a temporary light could be set up. The tower was repaired and a new automatic light was put into operation in March 1931.

The keepers returned once the new automatic light was installed in 1931. The last keeper was finally withdrawn in 1960.

In May 1997, the original diesel powered light and associated equipment was removed and replaced with a flashing beacon placed on the balcony of the lighthouse. This was powered by batteries and solar panels.

In 2007 this beacon was replaced with a LED beacon, again placed on the balcony of the lighthouse.

The light is monitored remotely from Maritime New Zealand’s Wellington office.

Life at Kahurangi Point light station

Although access to the station was a problem, the keepers seemed to enjoy their time at this lighthouse.

The area is very lush and green. Growing vegetables and keeping livestock was no trouble, so the keepers’ diet was varied. The area also had good supplies of fish and seafood, wild berries and mushrooms.

Getting other supplies to the station was not so easy. At first a contract was agreed with a steamer to land oil and stores at Big Bay every 6 months. This arrangement proved too hazardous and it was decided it would be easier to supply the station by land. Each month one keeper would ride into Collingwood for supplies.